Friday, January 30, 2009

Life Is Like A Bowl Of Cherries...



...sometimes it's sweet, sometimes it's the pits. That's the motto of my blog, after all.

I've been down and out for more than a week now - but I take full responsibility for it. My intentions were the best, but I guess sometimes we just don't know what's best, do we? So, this past week or so has been The Pits, to say the least.

To make a long, dramatic story short... hubby and I agreed to take temporary custody of our two young granddaughters so that their mother could relocate to Panama City to be with their Dad. He's been there for about 3 months and they have been trying to get the mom and girls down there. The problem, or so we were told, was that the person my son (the Dad) was living with would not allow the kids to live there - which was why we agreed to take the kids until they could get a place of their own.

So, the mom dropped the girls with us a week before she moved to Panama City. I love those kids but that was one of the most difficult weeks I've spent in a long time. The problem: the youngest, Faith, does NOT sleep at night. The reason: we think it's due to their parents being up at all hours of the night with the girls, riding around town, visiting friends, etc. They don't keep regular hours as most people do. During the week we had them, we tried everything we knew to help her sleep. And it was not only that - the child screams...at the top of her very shrill voice!

By the end of the week, our nerves were frayed raw and we were all at the breaking point. So, we gave the children back to their parents. It didn't go over very well. They've had to figure out what they're going to do about living arrangements.

I feel guilt, but I feel relief also. As a mother I'm torn in two. I want to help my children succeed and see my grandchildren happy and well taken care of. But I have three left at home who suffered tremendously during that week. I told my son I had to choose between giving my grandchildren back to their parents or my home. I chose my home. I can only hope it was the right choice for the grandbabies.

I've missed most of my walking this past week, but I've maintained my 5 pound loss. Now that I'm getting caught back up on sleep and some much needed peace in my house, I will get back on the wagon.

Thanks for letting me vent, Cyber Friends. Next post will be more positive! :)

2 comments:

  1. I can see where this is one of those mom moments where you feel torn in two...it sounds as if you did the best that could be done in the situation. Lack of sleep makes screaming worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's ok we have to do what we have to do. That sounded dumb sorry but I do understand where you are coming from it will work out good luck..

    ReplyDelete