Thursday, February 26, 2009

Review: Escape by Carolyn Jessop


I saw this book at Books-A-Million one day and grabbed it off the shelf. I'd heard about this woman who escaped from a polygamist life with her eight children. I went home, curled up, and proceeded to read her harrowing accounts of the abuse and degradation she endured for thirty-five years. Normally, I'm not a reviewer of materials or books but when I come across something I feel is worth passing along I like to let others know about it.

Here is a woman who endured extreme physical and mental abuse all of her life but remained strong enough to get herself and her children out. Her inside story of life in a polygamist cult is unbelievable, frightening, and eye-opening. There were many times as I read that I would shake my head and say to myself, "Why didn't you just leave?" But, I would catch myself and realize that I was thinking like "an outsider", not one born to that life.

I feel eternally blessed that I was not born into that life, for even though I have a strong spirit, I don't know if I could have endured what Carolyn Jessop did. She is a truly remarkable woman.

This photo is of her husband, Merril Jessop, and several of her sister wives (as they call them). Carolyn is in the blue dress.

I hope that she can find the real peace and strength that God wants for her.


Carolyn Jessop - you are the strongest woman I know. Thank you for sharing your story with the world. I'm sure it took courage, but from what I read, you have an abundance of it. God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment