I say it every year. "My New Year's Resolution is..." ....fill in the blank. I start with great intention and lots of dedication and motivation. But, somewhere along the way, I always fall off the wagon. Is it a lack of interest? Lack of motivation? Lack of support? Probably a combination of things. I like variety so I know I lose interest quickly. I'm certainly motivated, but life seems to keep coming at me and I get derailed. I have a great support system in my husband, but life comes at him full force, too, to he finds it hard to keep me supported. *sigh*
What's a girl to do?
Here are a few tips that I've discovered while searching the Internet for help. Maybe they'll help you, maybe they'll help me.
1. Choose realistic resolutions. (Seems simple enough.)
2. Write down your plan. (It helps me to see what I'm working towards.)
3. Make small, attainable goals. (You can't eat the elephant all at once.)
4. Tell people. (Tell friends and family. They can be a great support system and may even join you.)
5. Keep a journal. (It may help you be accountable to yourself.)
6. Set a schedule. (That life that comes at you is sure to get in the way! Make a time for yourself.)
7. Reward yourself with each goal. (Don't binge...don't use food as reward if you're trying to lose weight.)
8. Find support. (It's critical for keeping your motivation and determination.)
So now, the question is...Can I stick to my resolutions. Like so many others, my goal is to shed a few pounds. I think though, that instead of my resolution being to lose weight, it will be just to eat better. No more fries on the dollar menu, more water and green veggies. That sounds a little more do-able to me.
I'd love to hear what your resolutions are.